Week #6 of 2012 Challenge
- Sleep 8 hours each night
- Keeps your heart healthy
- Proven to be associated with a decreased risk of developing cancers
- Reduces inflammation and stress hormones
- Decreased risk of diabetes
- Increases your memory and brain function
- Decreased risk of depression
- There is a strong connection between sleep and overweight/obesity!!! If you want to lose weight and you aren't sleeping, there is a good chance it won't happen or it will take a lot longer than you want.
- Set a 'regular' bedtime and attempt to get up at the same time every day. Our bodies actually crave routine and function best when you can achieve this.
- Increase your exposure to daylight during the day and limit the use of television and any electronic screen use (including your cell phone!) an hour before you go to sleep.
- Limit naps to 30 minutes to avoid feeling drowsy afterward
- Keep your room cool and make your bed as comfortable as possible
- We are all adults here - so use your bed for sleep and sex only. Keep a TV out of your bedroom (should improve that love life!)
- Have a bedtime ritual (short is fine) - listen to music, take a warm bath, etc. and try to do the same thing every night
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and big meals before bedtime
- Exercise regularly, but avoid it in the hour before you go to bed.